When setting up a server, sometimes the experience you want to create is one provided by both mods and plugins on your server. Magma is a new hybrid server type developed by the Magma Foundation, combining both Forge and Paper to give you the best of both worlds in terms of server software. This guide is designed to help you install Magma on your server to run both plugins and mods at once.
Magma is still currently in development and is only completely available on Minecraft 1.12, however a beta build for 1.14 is available and 1.15 is still in progress.
- Download the correct version of Magma for your server type. For 1.12, you will be able to download Magma from their official download page, located here: https://magmafoundation.org/#download
- To get the 1.14 beta version, you will have to download the beta build from their GitHub CI, located here: https://github.com/magmafoundation/Magma
- Rename the downloaded file to
custom.jar. We will be using the Custom JAR server type with this server file, so you'll need to rename the file for the server to load.
- Upload the renamed JAR file to your server via FTP. This can be done either using the web FTP, or by using an FTP client such as FileZilla (click here for our FileZilla tutorial)
Once uploaded, your server's FTP should look something like this:
- After uploading the file, change your server type to the Custom JAR server type.
- Start your server! Your server will boot with Magma, and you'll be able to install mods and plugins as normal. To learn how to do this, read the guides below:
- Forge Mods: How to Install Forge Mods on Your Minecraft Server
- Bukkit/Spigot/Paper Plugins: How to Install Plugins on Your Minecraft Server