NBTExplorer is a powerful, easy-to-use editor that allows you to view and edit any attribute of your Minecraft world including player inventories, enabling and disabling hardcore mode, and much more! It’s used for editing any file that uses the NBT file format, which is what Minecraft uses for most of its world data.
How to Download NBTExplorer
NBTExplorer is a downloadable program available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. You can find the download link for NBTExplorer here. Once there, you can download the relevant files for your operating system and start the setup wizard.
How to Use NBTExplorer to Modify Your Server World
Now that you’ve downloaded NBTExplorer and completed the setup process, you’re ready to modify any value you’d like in your world, such as changing your world to hardcore mode, which this guide will cover! You can do this by following these instructions.
- Stop your server completely to prevent any interference.
- Backup your world before making any changes. You can manually backup your Minecraft server by following our guide here.
- Once you’ve made a backup, access your server directory using a FTP client such as Filezilla or WinSCP.
- Navigate to your world folder and locate the NBT file you’d like to edit.
- If you’d like to download your
level.dat(or global world settings file), this will be located under
/world/level.dat. Download the NBT file and you’re ready to edit this!
level.datfile isn’t the only thing you can modify. You can edit any files that use the NBT file format. This includes values such as playerdata, region and entity data, plus much more.
- In NBTExplorer, open the file downloaded from your server.
- You’ve now loaded the NBT file into NBTExplorer. Double click on the value you would like to edit then make your changes. In this case, to change your world so hardcore mode is enabled, you will need to set this from the initial value of 0 to the value of 1 then press OK.
- After you’ve modified the value you’d like to change, click Save All Modified Tags in the top-left corner.
- Upload the modified
level.datfile back to the server. To do this, remove or rename the existing NBT file on the server.
- Reupload the modified NBT file back to your server. Ensure the file has the same name as the original NBT file.
- Start your server and confirm the changes have been made.
- Enjoy your newly modified server!
More on NBT Editing
Now that you understand the basics, you may be interested in what else can be modified. With NBTExplorer, you can add or modify existing entity data inside specific regions in your world. It’s recommended to modify an existing single-player world as practice or creating a copy of your server before making any changes. If you would like to make modifications to specific regions or chunks in your world, Dinnerbone’s Coordinate Tools is a helpful tool for finding the specific region file to edit.
If you’re interested in using a web-based NBT tool instead of installing one, you can find a popular alternative here.
To learn more about the types of values you can modify and edit, check out Minecraft Wiki’s page on the NBT Format.If you require any further assistance, please contact our support at: https://shockbyte.com/billing/submitticket.php