Identifying Important Information
To get started, you need to identify the address of the server you want to join. If you own a Shockbyte server, you can find your server's address on your Rust Server Panel. This will be labeled as Server Address, as shown in the screenshot below.
In the example above, the server address is
126.96.36.199:12345. Breaking this down, the Server IP is the set of numbers before the : symbol, and after this are the last five numbers which are the Server Port.
It is also useful to know your server’s name as defined in the config files. If you are unsure how to see your server’s name or would like to set it to something else, check out our guide on How to Set a Server Name for Your Rust Server.
Connecting using Rust's in game console
- Once Rust has launched, hit the F1 key to open the game console. Make sure that CONSOLE is selected in the top left of your screen.
- With your server's address, type the command
client.connect <IP:port>. Then hit Enter
Connecting Via Steam Server Viewer
Note: If you already have Rust running, you will be unable to connect via this method. However, any server’s added to Steam's server viewer will be automatically present in Rust's server list > Favorites Tab
- On the top left of the Steam app, navigate to View > Servers
- Here you can view all your favorite servers, connect to them, and even add new ones. In order to add a server, click on Add a Server.
- On the Add Server window, enter the IP of your server into the dialog box, then click Add this Address to Favorites.
- Once a server has been added as a favorite, click on the server then click the Connect button to join it.
Connecting Via Rust’s Server List
- After Launching Rust, click on Play Game. From here you will be able to connect to any Rust server. In order to connect to your server you will need to select from 1 of 4 tabs:
- Community: For Vanilla Rust servers. Simply search by your name.
- Modded: For Oxide Rust servers. As before, search by your name.
- Favorited: Any server's you have favorited or added to Steam's server viewer.
- History: Any server's you have joined before.