We have a video tutorial on how to install Fabric to your Minecraft server:
Fabric, like Minecraft Forge, is a server type that allows you to run mods on your Minecraft server. While less popular than Forge, Fabric still allows for a vast range of mods to be installed; this includes those centered around server performance improvement without heavily modifying vanilla features, which is something you can't get from Spigot or Paper as they modify vanilla behaviours to provide greater performance.
Automatically Installing Fabric
- Stop your server.
- Set your Server Type to your preferred Fabric version, which is determined by your mods' Minecraft version and minimum Fabric version. However, the lastest version of Fabric for the required Minecraft version will usually work.
- Restart your server to install the latest Fabric version.
Manually Installing Fabric
- Download the Fabric installer from https://fabricmc.net/use/.
- Run the Fabric installer, then navigate to the Server tab at the top as shown below.
- Select the Minecraft Version you want to install on your server. Unless necessary, keep the Loader Version to its default selection.
- Change the install location for your Fabric server files to a memorable location, such as a folder on your Desktop. This will make them easier to find later.
- Click the Install button to start the installation process.
- After the installer downloads all the required files, a new window will appear saying that the server has successfully installed. On that window, click the Download server jar button to download the Vanilla server jar.
- Once the Vanilla server jar has downloaded, a green text will appear to confirm this. Then, click Done and close the installer.
- Open the folder that you installed the server files into and rename
custom.jarfor Minecraft versions 1.16.5 or older,
custom-java16.jarfor Minecraft 1.17, or
custom-java17.jarfor Minecraft 1.18 or newer.
- Upload the generated server files to your server's base (root) directory via FTP. As there are multiple large files, it's best to use an FTP client such as FileZilla rather than the web FTP interface (click here to read our FileZilla tutorial).
- On your server's control panel, set the
Server Typeto the Custom JAR option for Minecraft versions 1.16.5 or older, the Custom JAR Java 16 option for Minecraft 1.17, or the Custom JAR Java 17 option for Minecraft 1.18 and newer as shown below:
- Start your server and wait for Fabric to generate and patch all of the files it needs.
Once your server boots successfully, it should now have Fabric installed! You are now ready to start installing a wide range of mods to your server. You can read our guide on installing Fabric mods here: How to install Fabric Mods on your Minecraft ServerIf you require any further assistance, please contact our support at: https://shockbyte.com/billing/submitticket.php