We have a video tutorial for installing Minecraft Forge:
This guide explains how to install Forge on your server. Forge is a Minecraft server type that allows you to run mods. It is the most popular modded server type and is used with the majority of mod packs available.
- Download the ‘Installer’ for your desired version of Forge at: https://files.minecraftforge.net/ (If you’re using Windows, you can download the Windows Installer - otherwise for Mac/Linux you will need to use ‘Installer’).
- Run the installer and select ‘Install server’.
- Mercurius is an analytics / stat tracking mod. If you’re not sure if you need this, it’s best to leave this box unchecked. For newer Forge versions this won't be an option at all, so just move to step 4.
- Select a location to install Forge. We recommend just creating a temporary folder on your Desktop to install the files to.
- Hit ‘Ok’ and the installer will begin downloading the Forge files into the folder you have specified. Wait until the files have been downloaded before proceeding to the next step.
- Rename the Forge Universal JAR file to ‘custom.jar’. The filename will look similar to ‘forge-1.12.2-220.127.116.1160-universal.jar’ by default. However, its numbers will vary slightly. The correct file can be seen highlighted in the screenshot below (but remember the numbers will differ slightly to our example!):
- Upload the generated files to your server via FTP. As there are multiple files, it’s best to use an FTP client such as FileZilla rather than the web FTP interface (click here to read our FileZilla tutorial).
Be sure to only upload the files that were generated (and not the directory you created). Simply select the multiple files that were generated and upload them to the base directory (root/default directory) of your FTP.
Once uploaded, the directory contents will look like this:
- On the control panel, set your ‘Server Type’ to the Custom JAR option as seen in the image below:
- Start your server. You’re all done!